- 1/2 pack (8 oz.) rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 skinless and boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 3 strips
- 1 can 13.5 fl oz. (400 ml) coconut milk
- 1 can 14.05 oz. (411 g) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 piece turmeric (2-inch), peeled or 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 piece (2-inch) galangal, peeled and sliced
- 1 piece (2-inch) ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 cups sliced cabbages, optional
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, cut into wedges
- 1 stalk spring onion, cut into rounds
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Fried shallot crisps
- Soak the rice noodles in warm water to soften them. Set aside.
- Blend the Spice Paste in a food processor. Add some water if needed.
- Add the oil in a pot on medium-high heat. Add in the Spice Paste and stir with spatula back and forth until aromatic.
- Add in the chicken broth, coconut milk, lemongrass and water. Bring it to a boil. Add in the chicken breast cubes. Cover the pot and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Blanch the rice noodles, bean sprouts, cabbages (if using) in another pot of boiling water. Transfer them to a bowl once they are cooked. Add the Toppings of hard-boiled eggs, spring onions and add the hot chicken broth into the bowl. Serve hot with lime wedges and shallot crisps on top of the noodles.